CL-Out for Bioremediation of Dry Cleaner and Industrial Solvents
Fast, reliable, and cost-effective bioremediation to remove environmental risk
- CL-Out contains beneficial strains of freeze-dried organisms selected for their ability to bioremediate PCE, TCE and daughter products including vinyl chloride under aerobic conditions.
- High quality control measures verify the cell counts and absence of pathogens. CL-Out contains only naturally occurring microbes.
- Aerobic cometabolism is effective for removing solvents from soil or ground water.
- Aerobic cometabolism breaks the carbon to carbon bond and does not produce harmful daughter products like vinyl chloride.
- Can be used as a highly effective stand-alone solution or to augment chemical treatment, sparging and vapor extraction or pump-and-treat.
- compatibility with the natural conditions reduces risk of project failure.
Restores Property Value
CL-Out has successfully remediated hundreds of properties, from small dry cleaners in shopping centers, to industrial brownfields and military bases. Aerobic cometabolism saves time and money by working with the natural site conditions and using a high population of known beneficial microbes. Site closure often occurs in a matter of weeks or months versus several years or more for other methods, giving users the combined benefit of fast site closure and remarkable cost savings.
How fast is it? CL-Out bioremediation begins as soon as the micorbes are in contact with the contaminantion. Contaminant removal rates results are observed at over 1.0 mg/L/day. In situ reults may appear to be lower because it takes time for the micorbes and the effect to move from application location to the monitoring location. The following chart shows that at most sites the contaminant removal rate is 90% in less than 90 days.
- Commonly used in the dry cleaning, metals manufacturing, printing, and electronics manufacturing industries.
- Designed for stand-alone application or for augmentation of existing treatments, including chemical treatment, vapor stripping, sparging, excavation, and dual-phase extractions technologies.
- Effectively remediates these compounds among others:
- dichloroethane (1,1-) & (1,2-),
- dichloroethylene (1,2-DCE),
- dichloropropane (1,2-),
- methylene chloride,
- tetrachloroethylene (PCE),
- trichloroethane (1,1,1-TCA),
- trichloroethylene (TCE),
- vinyl chloride,
- and other organic chemicals.
Environmental Conditions for Treatment
CL-Out microbes are easy to use by follow these easy step-by-step instructions.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the limiting factors? CL-Out microbes need the appropriate growth environment and complete distribution for successful bioremediation. The availability of oxygen is the most important element of providing an appropriate growth environment for aerobic bioremediation of PCE and other chlorinated solvents. Oxygen supplements such as an oxygen release compound or air sparging may supplement the naturally-available oxygen.
Can the concentrations be too high for CL-Out? No, but CL-Out may not be the best solution for separate phase contamination. CL-Out may be used in combination with an extraction technology to provide bioremediation of the dissolved phase and provide a biosurfactant to improve extraction.
Does Cl-Out produce harmful daughter products? No, CL-Out microbes degrade PCE and TCE by breaking the carbon bond to yield an organic acid, which is metabolized to the mineral components. Other organisms may be present in the subsurface and may be stimulated by CL-Out bioremediation to anaerobic degradation if aerobic conditions are not maintained. CL-Out micorbes destroy the daughter products created by anaerobic reductive dechlorination, including DCE and vinyl chloride.